Featured Post

Friday, January 29, 2021

The Six Candles - Chapter 5

 Chapter 5


Before asking me a question, he made sure his walkie talkie was turned off.

"You know you are not supposed to go anywhere else but save yourself reporting to your station in an emergency."

I looked intently at him as if warning him not to dare look at my paper bag. He sensed it. He did not do anything. I was serious.

"Yes."

I answered him. That's all. Yet I kept looking straight to his eyes without smiling or laughing while deep inside me, my whole body was already cracking with laughter. I was able to hold my composure. Fortunately.

In normal circumstances, he would grab whatever I would be trying to hide or not to share with anyone. He knew I would not mind it especially if I looked open to jokes having smiles on my face. We were close friends.

The intrigue did not leave him. So he asked me politely what's inside the paper bag. I refused questioning him back.

"Why curious?"

Everyone's attention was with us. We knew as an officer he had the right to ask and do his role.

"We are on a drill. You know I have to make sure you're not a terrorist, hiding any weapon or firearms in that bag, much more a grenade."

He answered me without blinking while the others silently laughed. He was so serious looking. I was the same. Serious face like him. Though the corners of my mouth were starting to resist its tightness.

Without saying anything else, I put my hand inside the bag and showed him my chocolate bar.

Everyone in the line, and I was in the middle, suddenly cracked to laughter, except me. My friend  noticed it. He realized I was too serious for him to take my warning look.

"You put your life in danger in a case of emergency just to save a chocolate bar?"

He did burst into laughter. For a second, he looked again at my paper bag then at me. I was still serious, looking straight at him like saying, "Don't you ever dare!"

"It was the last one I could find. If I die in this tragedy, I would have died happy savouring it without anyone grabbing it from me."

I reasoned out those words to my friend. He nodded his head with obvious suspicions then slightly bent his head to murmur some words to my ear.

"That's what you think."

He said those words and kissed my ear. Then turned around to walk farther while talking to his walkie talkie.

"Dare me!"

I responded which he heard because he turned back and gave an amused expression on his face.

Remembering my best friend and best pal on the job gave unexplainable joy in my heart. It was those beautiful moments that had made my life worth living and full of colors.

I was holding green and blue. While I put the green candle beside the left side of red, I was remembering my BFF and her dollars. 

Then I placed beside it the blue candle, remembering those blue eyes of my best pal.

The birthday cake in front of me was a beautifully prepared chocolate cake. Unfortunately I did not have a camera on hand to take a picture of it, but just could describe it.


To be continued...


Check for more: Tap below

The Six Candles - Last Chapter


(c) bbayonito20/bethbciar

@bbayonito20(Tap to Author's Profile)