Featured Post

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Six Candles - Chapter 3



Chapter 3


Thinking about spices as I placed the Second Candle, the yellow one, after relating the color to a mayonnaise's color, and office friendship but devilish boss, another moment has crossed my mind.

Maybe I was around twelve years old, I just came from school when I heard my mother talking to someone in her room office in the house. 

As it has been my mom's rule not to mess around in her office, I did not knock to greet her and tell her of my arrival.

I was the first one to come back home from school. The way to my room had to pass my mom's office. It was a little bit open. So the invitation to peep in was strong and so I did.

She was shouting to a woman almost her age of around fifties. The woman was dressed in a simple, cotton dress with her head bowed, and she was crying. Besides, the poor woman has her palms crossed as if praying or pleading something from my mother.  

Mother was seated in front of the woman on the opposite side of the office table, in her normal elegant dress, with a chin up attitude towards her.
"I promise to pay my debt. Just give me more time, I beg you."

I was so touched by the way the poor woman said those words. She touched my heart. I ran crying to my room discreetly, so my mom would not realize I was peeping into their conversation.

That event happened two years after I heard my parents shouting at each other. It came back again to my mind at that moment while I was crying in my room. 

As tears ran on my cheeks, I remembered myself saying, as if memorizing a line, the most unforgettable words I had pronounced.

"I hate money!"

I was at that moment of remembering the past when my daughter stepped into the kitchen where I am.

"Did you find the candles, mom?"

She found me pretty sad that she ran unto my side and hugged me.

"Are you okay?"

I looked at her without realizing I had a tear falling on my cheek.

"You are crying!"

My daughter's eyes got rounded and worried. Quickly, I ran my hand on my cheek to wipe the tear, and stood up from my chair, leaving her seated on the chair beside me.

"I am okay. Just a stupid memory crossed my mind."
The look in her eyes showed her disbelief. To ease the moment, I helped her stand from her chair and sent her away lovingly.

"I found the candles and I am trying to figure out how I would arrange them in accordance to their colors."

I answered my daughter's question and she laughed.
"It wasn't me who chose them but your granddaughter."

She told me happily. I laughed with her as I pictured my daughter's look a like child. My little Daphne. She's a beautiful, sweet five year old girl I considered my little doll alive.

"Okay, now I know. Get back to what you're doing and I'll finish finding places to these candles."

I said to my daughter while pushing her out from the kitchen. She hugged and kissed me first before getting out.

What a blessed mother and grandmother I am. Yes, that's me.

Well, I have four more candles  in my hand. Red and yellow were already placed in the cake. I still have blue, pink, green and violet left.

I looked at them and fixed my gaze on the violet. I stuck it besides the yellow candle in memory of the poor woman in her grief.


To be continued...

Check for more: Tap below

The Six Candles - Chapter 4


(c) bbayonito20/bethbciar

@bbayonito20(Tap to Author's Profile)