Featured Post

Monday, September 13, 2021

Grown Up

 


The Backpacker's Road - Grown up


As always, the coffee shop, Starbucks, was full when I arrived. That was the reason why I made sure to myself earlier to our reunion. 

Fortunately, that little corner where my lifetime buddies and I have passed our update meetings was unoccupied. I went to it hurriedly and placed my two books on top of the six chairs table, as an indication to other customers that the table was taken. The table was just on the right hand side of the main counter where people ask for their orders, as the shop was a self-service business. So, I could order my coffee even before the arrival of my other friends.

I asked for my favorite coffee and seated myself on the chair against the wall so I could see whoever entered the shop. On my side, all the way to the main entrance door was a window glass. Outside the shop, there were also some chairs and tables for the customers who prefer to have their coffee and food by the street's wide sidewalk.

Getting myself comfortably seated while waiting, I smiled alone as I remembered the past.

It has been years since that tribute mass our friend who survived from human trafficking had left to live abroad. Every five years, she comes back to visit the country, relatives and friends.

"This is going to be the third time."

I commented to myself with happiness in my heart, anxious to see her again.

"What is going on inside that mind that makes those beautiful lips smile so sweetly?"

My sisters! The twins have just arrived and I did not realize it, as they seated themselves already with their coffees in their hands.

"I did not see you enter."

I replied without answering the question of one of them.

"You were looking outside the window when we entered. We saw you but did not call. We noticed you were deep in thought  while smiling."

Then the three of them laughed.

I hugged the twins lovingly. They have become my sisters as their parents have adopted me to become part of their family. Their parents Ika and Iko have sent me to school, just like the twins who later on became business women themselves, overtaking the successful family business. What their father loved to say aloud to us has been my favorite lines and left a memory in my brain. Ika of My Heart, was our father's favorite line.

(To read: Tap the Ika of My Heart link to the story)

While I was hugging my sisters, I saw two more friends entering the shop. They were the taxi driver's daughter and the reporter/journalist. I waved at them.

(To read: Tap the Watched link to the story series of the taxi driver's daughter)

(To read: Tap the Survived 2 link to the story of the reporter/journalist)

As both were going to the counter, the last friend who came from abroad just arrived.

"There she is!"

The three of us seated joined in chorus as we saw her. That made everyone in the shop turn their attention at the shop's entrance.

The protagonist of the Survived story, the survivor of human trafficking was stunned by surprise as to what her friends had done, who were then covering their mouth ending into laugher afterwards.

(To read: Tap Survived link to the story)

The other two friends on their way to the counter were the ones who recovered themselves first and went quickly to welcome and hug the friend who just arrived.

They brought her to our table to greet us then the three went together to ask for their coffee. 

Between laughs and excitement, we showed our happiness toward each other. Until each one managed to calm down and be seated.

"You look great as always. What have you been up to?"

Our friend, the taxi driver's daughter,  asked the first question as she looked at our friend. Our newly arrived friend was wearing a formal suit of women's attire in light grey.

"I just came from a meeting held at my mother's foundation for human trafficking survivors."

She answered our friend's question while smiling at her nice compliment.

"Do you still work as a financial consultant abroad?"

Our reporter friend asked.

"Yes! I work hard to finance the foundation. You all know what the foundation means to me."

All friends ascended to her in agreement as all sipped their coffees.

"How about you? What's your latest?"

She asked the rest. She was looking at me. I was seated in front of her. The  twins on her right and the other two were on her left.

"I run a Home for the Aged."

I responded.

"Great! We already have a place to go in our Oldies."

She exclaimed.

All of us laughed at the idea and started to joke with each other about what old life could be for us.

Then our reporter friend continued the story.

"The owner of that Home for the Aged was my father's friend."

She informed us.

"Yes, that's true. I have been lucky to have known all of you and have you all as my friends."

I continued.

"My husband, Peter, was a close friend of our reporter friend here. She and her father had helped with the story and case I got involved myself with, being a girlfriend of a drug lord's son. Thanks God it has been over."

I narrated as my reporter friend hugged me as she was seated closer.

"He gave me a new life after Luke was jailed along with the drug lords."

I paused. Then continued.

"I started to work in their family's Home for the Aged. I worked as a cleaner until I learned about the business and fell in love with him."

I said it with giggles that my friends laughed with me before continuing the story.

"His father, Jesus, was such a great father-in-law to me. He was a great man. He had helped many helpless old people, like that old man Jeremiah."

(To read: Tap the Believed 2 link to the story of Jeremiah)

"His first wife died of cancer. Then he married again. His wife's story was written too in my memory."

All my friends laughed at my last statement.

"Tell us how you titled that story?"

One of the twins asked me.

I paused for a while before giving them the answer.

"Yes. She was my mother-in-law. I titled it The Six Candles."

(To read: Tap the The Six Candles link to the story)

All of them clapped their hands to my title. As I paused, our taxi driver's daughter friend spoke for me.

"My father was still alone when your father-in-law died after Matthew, that's why I was convincing him to go for your mother-in-law."

Everyone laughed at her idea. Our friend was just showing how much she loves and is proud of her father.

(To read: Tap the Watched 3 link to the taxi driver's daughter story)

"It has been years since your son died."

One of the twins commented.

"Your son died?"

Our friend from abroad asked with sadness.

"A stepson, Matthew. He died in a car accident. Then my father-in-law followed. Now, my husband, Peter, is dying of cancer."

I responded to her.

(To read: Tap the  Believed link to the story of Matthew and Peter)

"Next!"

That was the reporter friend who broke the silence and drama in between us that shook everyone.

"What's next?"

One of the twins asked.

"Next story."

Our friend responded.

Then everyone laughed again, taking her comment as a joke.

The taxi driver's daughter cut it, though.

"No! Enough of stories for now. Let us talk about our men, our love story and our sexiest moments. Okay ladies?"

She raised her coffee cup in the middle of everyone to ask for a united cheer on her suggestion.

With giggles, excitement and laughter, we found a common agreement.

Then and there, the writer friend took her notes about everyone's till the next episode of their friend's Backpacker's Road story. 

Meanwhile, I was watching how a white dove was moving around on top of an empty  table outside the window, looking for pieces of food to pick on. Most of all, those clear blue skies with beautiful clouds have filled my heart, once again, with hope and happiness.


Check for more: Tap below

More  from Backpacker's Road Next: Oldie

(c) bbayonito20/bethbciar

@bbayonito20(Tap to Author's Profile)