Featured Post

Monday, December 21, 2020

Elyssa Q. Castelo



Where's My Love?

(What's His Name?)
By Castelo, Elyssa Q.


The smell of gasoline and the sound of the brakes as each car passes by a narrow road by the window, grabbing a brown recyclable paper with their food. In front of me was my last customer before I ended my shift. I switched back to my normal clothes inside a small tiny room for the staff, as I took my bag and headed out.

It was night time, and the city wasn't busy because there were not a lot of people outside. As I walked down a path with a flickering post, I sat down on a bench because my feet were swollen from walking. Normally I would take the train, but walking will save me more money since I live alone and I need to pay my rent. And whenever I walk, I would always stop by the ocean just like those girls living in California, but not to bathe while it's sunny, but to clear my mind with the sounds whenever the water reaches the shore and the cold from the breeze.

It was quiet, when suddenly an insect with two pairs of colorful wings, a butterfly decided to accompany me and landed on my fingers that are resting on my lap. Butterflies are not only beautiful, but also have mystery, symbolism and meaning and are a metaphor representing spiritual rebirth, transformation, change, hope and life. It's funny when nature knows what we feel, as I stare blankly down on the shadows.

I stood up and continued to walk my way home, and as I walked barefoot on the sand, I saw the guy from before. He was then again standing there looking towards the end of the ocean, with the same clothes. But I noticed something different as I stood there like I left my body on the bench and continued along with just my shadow.

It was his eyes that were before filled with sadness but now, it was harder for me to read. And from afar he stood there and his presence gave me shivers as he slowly turned his neck and made eye contact with me. But then it hit me, on how he noticed me standing from a distance when he didn't notice me before as well as made eye contact that I seem to never have with other people. Who could he be? What's his name?


 (c) elyssacastelo2004

The latest Post/Series:  

The Writer Series